The Bran layer between the rice grain and the outer hull gives black rice its nutritional kick. Black rice bran inhibits histamine and can reduce inflammation due to the high antioxidant content.
Studies in animals also indicate that black rice can lower atherosclerotic plaque, raise HDL cholesterol levels and lower LDL cholesterol levels, due to the high fiber. Forbidden black rice has both water-soluble and fat-soluble antioxidants, including vitamin E and anthocyanins, which have been linked to decreased risk of heart disease and cancer.
Try this recipe for Indonesian Black Sticky Rice Pudding! It’s so tasty!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cup of black glutinous/sticky rice • 11⁄4 cup of water
- 4 tbsp. palm sugar, divided
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup of dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- Soak rice in a large bowl and cover for 4-6 hours, then rice under cold water
- Add rice to sauce pan and bring to a boil, add 1 tbsp. of sugar, reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, remove from heat covered and rest for 10 min
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, add remaining sugar and salt, and reducing to a boil, then cut the vanilla bean, scrape out the seeds then add the seeds and pod to the mixture
- Make a dispersion of cornstarch with 1 tbsp. of cold water, then add to coconut mixture, stir on heat until thickened
- Toast shredded coconut separately